Criteria for grading in-home services
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services gave thousands of home health agencies a rating of one to five stars based on how often:
• the home health team began its patients’ care in a timely manner.
• the team made sure patients received a flu shot for the current flu season.
• the team taught patients (or their family caregivers) about their prescribed drugs.
• home health patients got better at walking or moving around.
• patients got better at getting in and out of bed.
• patients had less pain when moving around.
• patients got better at bathing.
• patients’ breathing improved.
• patients had to be admitted to the hospital.