225 ILCS 60/22 contains the non-exhausitve list of actions for which doctors (MD’s, DO’s and DC’s) can be disciplined. The Act states that the Department my revoke, suspend, place on probationary status, or take any other disciplinary actions as the Department may deem proper with regard to the license of any person to practice medicine, or to treat human ailments without the use of drugs and without operative surgery. The following are the most frequent.
1. Conviction of a Felony-even if not related to the practice of medicine.
2. Gross Negligence-much more than mere negligence.
3. Dishonorable, unethical or unprofessional conduct.
4. Fraudulent Billing.
5. Drug or Alcohol Abuse
6. Boundary violation with patient.
7. Failure to report a Discipline.
There is a statute of limitation for the Department to bring a Complaint against a doctor. In many cases that time limit is 5 years.